In ever – evolving landscape of cyber security, it is important for every organization to protect endpoints. As cyber threat continues to grow in complexity and frequency it becomes essential for every organization to deploy robust endpoint security solutions. Here you will know more about EPP and EDR, their unique capabilities and how they complement each other in creating comprehensive defense strategy.
What is EPP?
Endpoint protection platform are the stalwarts of endpoint security which is designed to prevent and block known threats from endpoints. EPP solutions offer a range of proactive measures which includes antivirus solution, anti-malware, firewalls, application control and device control. The primary focus on EPP sis to stop threats at the entry points, safeguard the endpoints from wide array of threat activities. EPP is the best solution for day-to-day endpoints protection, and it sets the foundation for overall endpoint security.
Key Features of EPP:
1) EPP solutions leverage signature based scanning and heuristic analysis to identify the viruses and then eliminate those viruses and malware.
2) The built-in firewall in EPP monitors and controls the overall network traffic, protecting the end points from unauthorized access and malicious inbound and outbound connections.
3) EPP solution will allow company administrator to define policies for device usage and restrict unauthorized application from running on endpoints.
4) EPP actively prevents known viruses and threats by providing a baseline level of security against common attacks.
What is EDR?
The main focus of EPP is on prevention, but the Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) solutions take a different approach. EDR is centered on detecting and responding to sophisticated and advanced threats that may evade traditional security methods. These solutions emphasize threat hunting, monitoring of real-time endpoint, behavior analysis and automated response capabilities to quickly identify the security incidents.
Key Features of EDR:
1) EDR continuously observes endpoint activities to identify suspicious behavior of threats.
2) EDR platform enable security analysts to conduct proactive threat hunting to identify threats that have not been previously detected by any other analysts or in-house team.
3) When any incident occurs, EDR always provides detailed visibility into the extent of the attack and assists in responding effectively to mitigate the damage.
4) EDR solutions use behavioral analysis and machine learning algorithm to identify anomalies which will help to indicate the presence of unknown threats, spreading across the entire network.
EDR vs EPP; The Difference
Most of the time organizations combine EPP and EDR into one system, but there are still few differences between both EDR and EPP.
EPP vs EDR: which one to choose?
Most of the time security experts recommend an organization to use combination of EPP and EDR for endpoint protection. EPP can prevent threats before it hits the end point but EDR is more about assumption of breach. Every organization should never assume that you are completely protected or secure. You must always adopt best security measures to protect the endpoint.
But, which one would you choose between them?
Now you know the main difference between EPP and EDR. EPP tools provide basic security methods, while EDR tools provide more advanced features. Depending on an organization and their security system need, they decide which one to choose. Sometimes, organization can combine both tools to provide a more holistic solution to secure them against threats. Even a well-balanced security solution will help organizations protect their critical assets, maintain business continuity, safeguard their reputation and secure the network.
Contact us to know more about solution for threats