Ganesh Chauhan, Technical Support Specialist, Microsoft Azure.
With the acceleration of digital transformation and the increase in hybrid work, organisations are seeing an increase in both the volume and sophistication of cyberattacks. While organisations of all sizes face similar security risks, with the shift to remote work and new digital business models, cybersecurity is quickly becoming a top concern for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs). SMBs are particularly vulnerable due to budget constraints and a lack of specialised security skills. According to a recent study, more than 60% of small businesses experienced a cyberattack and were unable to operate.
Microsoft is constantly innovating to help customers secure their digital assets in an ever-changing threat landscape and to assist SMB customers with their cloud adoption journey. We are pleased to announce the preview of Azure Firewall Basic today.
Azure Firewall Basic is a new Azure Firewall SKU designed to meet the needs of SMBs by providing enterprise-grade cloud environment protection at an affordable price point. It is a cloud-native, highly available, stateful firewall as a service offering that allows customers to centrally govern and log all of their traffic flows while providing essential scale capabilities.
SMBs benefit from low-cost, enterprise-grade security.
With built-in threat intelligence from Microsoft Threat Intelligence, Azure Firewall Basic includes Layer 3-Layer 7 filtering and alerts on malicious traffic. You can gain more visibility into your environment and identify and respond to threats faster with tight integration with other Azure services such as Azure Monitor, Azure Events Hub, Microsoft Sentinel, and Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
Azure Firewall Basic Key Features
Comprehensive network firewall security that is cloud-native.
- Filtering network and application traffic.
- Threat intelligence to detect malicious traffic.
- High availability is pre-installed.
- Integrates seamlessly with other Azure services.
Simple to set up and use.
- Setup takes only a few minutes.
- Deployment should be automated (deploy as code).
- With automatic updates, there is no need for any maintenance.
- Azure Firewall Manager provides centralised management.
- Designed to provide essential, cost-effective Firewall protection for your virtual network’s resources.
Choosing the best Azure Firewall SKU for your needs
Azure Firewall now has three different SKUs to accommodate a variety of customer use cases and preferences.
- To protect highly sensitive applications, Azure Firewall Premium is recommended (such as payment processing). It supports advanced threat protection features such as malware detection and TLS inspection.
- Customers looking for a Layer 3-Layer 7 firewall with auto-scaling to handle peak traffic periods of up to 30 Gbps should consider Azure Firewall Standard. Enterprise features such as threat intelligence, DNS proxy, custom DNS, and web categories are supported.
- Azure Firewall Basic is recommended for SMB customers who require less than 250 Mbps of throughput.
Let’s look at the features of the three Azure Firewall SKUs in more detail.
Pricing for Azure Firewall Basic
Azure Firewall Basic pricing, like the Standard and Premium SKUs, includes both deployment and data processing charges.
Visit the Azure Firewall pricing page for more information.